DUTASTERIDE – AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Dutasteride is a synthetic 4-azasteroid compound that is a selective inhibitor of both the type 1 and type 2 isoforms of steroid 5 alpha-reductase used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in men with an enlarged prostate.
• Helps improve urinary flow and may also reduce the need for prostate surgery later.
• Sometimes given with another medication called tamsulosin (Flomax). Dutasteride prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body.
• It is also highly effective in androgenic alopecia and in some studies it is found to be superior to Finasteride.
• Also is available under the following different brand names: Avodart.
Dosage of Dutasteride:
Dosage Forms and Strengths
- 0.5 mg
Dosing Considerations – Should be Given as Follows:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- 0.5 mg orally once/day
- Androgenic alopecia
- 0.5-1 mg orally once/day